1. We experience more or less the same set of emotions. This helps us understand how the other person is feeling, because at some point in life to more or less extent, we have felt the same thing.
2. We have our past. This is how we can trace the reason behind most of our actions and thoughts. This contributes in making us who we are. Everyone has their own past, things that happened earlier that have lead them to be where they are right now.
3. We have our own fears. Maybe your fear is about something that happened in childhood that haunts you till this day or something that you are scared of happening to you because you’ve seen it happen to someone close to you. Fear is a emotion we all share.
4. We want to be liked by people around us. We are social beings by nature. We need social connection that helps us survive and thrive. We all crave human connection and bonding.
5. We have our insecurities. “You might not like the way your body looks, guess what, even the picture perfect person is insecure about something.”
6. We want someone to listen to us. Isn’t that the truth? You want someone who will be there by your side and listen and care. We share the same need to be heard, seen and noticed.
7. We want to smile and enjoy life. I don’t think anyone wants to be grumpy every single day. We constantly want to experience positive emotions and feel satisfied with life.
8. We desire rewards for our hardwork. It is a tendency we all share to expect something nice or at least acknowledgement for the work we have done. Only exception for this is altruistic behaviour. Where we act/serve, without expecting anything in return.
9. We struggle. We struggle with something or the other. Sometimes our struggle is visible, sometimes we struggle in silence. Struggle is something we all experience and we all need to go through to live a fulfilling life.
10. We need love. From our friends, romantic partner and family members. We need love and connection. We need to feel like we belong.
After reading this list of few things that we call go through, remember next time that you are not alone in your struggle. You are alone for needing love and connection. It is universal isn’t it?
When things get hard for us, we try to even accept that it is okay to struggle. “You have just been through …. It is okay if you are struggling. Don’t feel bad or left out just because people don’t share their struggle these days as they share their success.”
These things should bring us closer and help us understand eachother, because chances are that others might want to be treated the same way you wanted when you were in a similar situation.
Leave a Reply